Saturday 3 May 2014

The world we live in

Earlier today I had the pleasure of seeing a post on Facebook that got me thinking.  A lot.  There's no denying it, the world has changed and we are the reason why.  A lot of the changes have been beneficial, but I'm going to hazard to say a lot of the changes have also been detrimental.

In North America, we have always been known to be a society that is more individualistic, less community-oriented.  This saddens me.  People in you life- friends and family- always say that they'll be there for you if you need them and hell, you say the same for them.  At the end of the day though, it's all about me, myself and I.  It's like that for all of us.  I wish it were different.

The other day, I was sitting in a coffee shop with a friend and I saw that everyone was on their phone, computer or iPad.  This didn't surprise me.  What surprised me was that these people were all with other people- friends, family or colleagues, but no one was talking to one another.

I've come to realize what a slave to technology I have been.  I'm going to revert, try a bit of a simpler existence, an experiment.  What's the point in viewing life through a filter?  Keeping in contact and knowing what my friends are doing via their FB, Twitter, and Instagram updates?  If these people are as important to me as I like to think and that I am to them, why can't we pick up the phone or meet for coffee for 30 minutes or grab a beer to watch the game?

So here's to my experiment.  Here's to not checking my phone when I'm in the presence of other people.  Here's to experiencing life again.  Here's to what my life was like before I was constantly plugged in.  I have a feeling it's going to be amazing.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

As for that video I saw on FB, I'll attach it here, it's worth a look.  Why miss out on life and the experience?  Like the author states, life is finite.  No regrets.




No comments:

Post a Comment